History of Eelo University
Eelo Foundation (Non-Profit Organization) founded by members of the Somali community in the Diaspora; decided to establish the first American style university with high standards to provide a top quality education to the communities in this region and beyond. Eelo American University (EAU) was founded on the principle that the fundamental and lasting benefits that result from higher education, scientific and technical research, and community participation will enhance the lives of all the residents in the region. EAU provides its students an opportunity to pursue knowledge and to expand cultural wealth. It also contributes to all regional communities’ educational, cultural and economical objectives.
Through our strong higher education programmes in the fields of engineering and technology, we hope to contribute to the re-building of the country both public and private sector, formulation of the educational systems, and improving opportunities for the international community to contribute to the development, securing the peace and stability and reducing poverty in the region.
EAU is funded mainly through student tuition fees. Donations from members of local business community and individuals in the Diaspora are graciously accepted on every occasion they are made available to EAU. Transparency and accountability are imperative cornerstones of this institution.
English is the language of instruction at EAU. Participation of women as students and/or as members of the faculties in the University is particularly emphasized. The university supports and maintains fundamental rights to free speech and provides an environment in which students and faculty can achieve the highest level of intellectual integrity.
- Through establishment of this university, reduce the critical shortage of trained professionals especially engineers.
- Improve our country’s education indicators which are among the lowest in the world.
- Develop and deliver educational system and curriculum more relevant to our communities needs.
- Develop higher educational opportunities to improve:
- weak quality of learning due to insufficient teachers
- archaic pedagogic methods
- insufficient education and training systems due to inadequate government resources to increase access, or improve quality.
- Improve access to higher education by women and marginalized communities in the region.
- Increase access to and utilization of engineering, information technology, and advanced communications technology.
- Train institutional leaders and managers in higher education.
- Secure the highest quality of training for the students at the university, and assure that the best trained professors and sufficient textbooks and other learning materials are available to help do so.
- Focus special interest on training schoolteachers in mathematics and science and improving school administration and performance throughout the country.
- Support workforce development for national and regional economic growth.
PROGRAMS OFFERED AT EAU
Eelo American University currently has three faculties which offer certificate, diploma, and degree programs. At the undergraduate level we are offering a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science , Civil Engineering, and management Sciences. We have also a college of Continuous Studies which offers Diploma in information technology (DIT) and English as a Second Language (ESL) at certificate level. Preparations are underway for launching new Diploma programs in Business, Project Management, Human Resources Management, Construction Management, Urban Water Supply, and Watershed Management.
EAU is committed to:
- Academic excellence which distinguishes us from other local universities
- Providing our students with internationally recognized and accepted degrees
- Creating an atmosphere of confidence in our students and the community
- Fostering an atmosphere where our students receive the best education possible
- Bridging the gap which makes higher education inaccessible particularly to disenfranchise and minority groups.